Middle School Medical Academy
Grades 7 & 8
Participants interested in a career in health care are invited to apply for one of 12 seats in the middle school health care academy. Set yourself up for success and join this amazing summer experience. Participants will engage in the following:
- Introduction to medical terms along with basics of anatomy and physiology
- Experience a variety of pathways within the healthcare profession
- Gain valuable experience with hands-on medical scenarios using SIM manikins
- Build foundational skills necessary to be successful in health care
Twelve selected high school candidates will participate in the following:
- Participate in guest lectures and discussions with local experts
- Interact and converse with on-site medical professionals
- Engage in hands-on SIM medical scenarios and learn to apply your new found critical thinking abilities
- Jump start your learning by practicing a new medical skill each week like IV starts • Build foundational understanding of medical terminology
- Round out this amazing opportunity with a unique experience alongside a chosen mentor
(Limited to 12 seats per Scrub academy)
- Personal statement:
Please give a short statement explaining what you hope to take away from this 6 week medical program.
- A letter of recommendation/ support:
This letter should be from someone (not a family member) who is willing to recommend you and speak to your commitment for this prestigious program.
In addition to your letter of support and personal statement, full consideration is given to candidates completing a micro-credential that prepares you for your Scrubs experience prior to April 15.
Both high school candidates and middle school candidates are asked to complete the experiences (XPs) outlined in badge 1: